Monday, May 5, 2008

There Is A Reason Kobe Has Only One MVP Trophy

I think it is about time I chime about this Kobe winning his first MVP award this year. I got the news from a sports buddy of mine and not ESPN. Well me and him have had debates all year long about the NBA and the LA Lakers. Some of them have gotten very heated. For those who don't know my favorite sport of all time is College Basketball, and my least favorite is the NBA. Now some of you may look at that and be like how the heck does that work. Well I will tell you, it has to do with players like Kobe Bryant.

Kobe The Oversized Baby
Yes its All-Stars like Kobe Bryant that make me hate the NBA. Guys who think they are all that and a bag of chips and have that no one can touch this smug about them. Kobe is seen around the league a role model. If you ask me he is anything but that. It seems like everyone forgot that this guy wanted out of Los Angles just last summer and was throwing numerous hissy fits about it. He complained about how Jerry West wasn't getting him guys that he could win with. Does a role model complain when he doesn't get his way? Apparently. Does a role model run his best teammate and coach out of town? Seems like it since Kobe ran Shaquille O'Neal and Phil Jackson right out of town after the 2003 season after they helped Bryant win three rings. Kobe said he didn't need anybody, that you could win without them. Well Mr Hot Shot hasn't won a ring since, and its because his I'm god complex has hindered him winning championships. Now I will be one of the first to admit that Kobe Bryant has amazing basketball skills, that is no question but his attitude and immaturity up pretty much until this point in his career has been the main reason I have a beef with the guy. For the first 28 years of his life he must of thought there was an "I" in team because this seems to be the first time that I have seen him actually being a team player. Which is why he finally won the MVP because the most valuable player because he learned to win with the players around him and was able to put up the numbers he has had in the past. Kobe finally woke up, smelled the roses, and thought hey I really do need some help in order to win and became a leader instead of trying to win a championship all by myself. Congratulations Kobe you have finally grown up, and everyone is so proud of you.

Comparing Kobe to MJ
The thing that makes me angry is when NBA experts have said Kobe is the next Michael Jordan. All the those experts you need to shut up and stop comparing this man child to the greatest player to ever run up and down the NBA court. Yes Kobe scored 81 points in a single game against the lowly Toronto Raptors in a regular season game. Yippee that still doesn't make him Michael Jordan. The only way Kobe could be MJ is if he somehow cloned himself from Michael Jordan, and I don't think that happened. When it is all said and done Kobe Bryant will be a lock to be an NBA Hall of Famer, but he will never touch Jordan's Legacy. So will everyone stop comparing any good player in the NBA to Michael Jordan, cause they aren't and will never be Michael Jordan. The bottom line is Jordan made the NBA great, and Kobe is slowly destroying it. That and the fact they play no defense in the NBA is why I think it is horrible. And thats the way the cookie crumbles. There maybe a day when I can watch the NBA again and actually enjoy it but it won't be until Kobe Bryant announces his retirement. Which won't be for another 10 or so years.

7 comments:

Carey M. said...

AMEN! Well said Nate!

Anonymous said...

Its posts like yours that remind me why the MVP award should never be taken serious. Its a glorified politicized popularity contest nothing more. I personally think he's the best and honestly Jordan was just as much of an asshole but the difference is he was never called out for his crap.

Kobe is ergo I'm okay with him. Putting that aside I am surprised he would get an MVP trophy they've been trying to keep him off the ballot for years now.

Even if he didn't win it wouldn't matter to me doesn't change the fact he's still the best and will go down as one of the greatest to ever play.

Anonymous said...

You're a clueless nitwit.

Sportsattitude said...

You know how I feel about Chris Paul, Nate. Bryant has his award, but real basketball fans know this wasn't the year he should have won it. Perhaps a prior year, but not this one. I understand where you're coming from. There is a lot about Kobe not to love aside from the fact he is one of the best ever to play the game.

Lakers Blog said...

Allow me to clarify something very quickly... if this were a popularity contest and not an actual achievement award than Kobe would not have won. Gotta believe that Lebron is the most overrated and publicized NBA player. Witness campaign?? Ya, I saw him miss key layups twice already in the playoffs. Chris Paul will be sensational but he is getting credit the same way that Steve Nash was, and Nash didn't deserve his awards. Kobe makes his teammates better and wins games as a 2 guard, nash and Paul are Point guards and their only job is to create, they aren't suppose to be big scorers. let's all use logic when we break things down.

Nate Gonner said...

Ok time for me to fight back...
1) for the two guys who were anonymous you guys should at least try and grow a pair and actually put your name out when you are dissing me...makes you look like a chicken a little bit. I will agree Jordan was an asshole and didn't get called out for it but if I recall he did not once complain about wanting out of Chicago and not once did he run anyone out of town like Kobe did.

2)For the Lakers blog dude, I don't think anywhere on my blog did it say that this award was a popularity contest. I am actually agreeing for the first time that he actually deserves the award...Why it took him 12 years is because until this year he didn't make his teammates better. He said it perfectly yesterday that this was a team award and for the first time in his 12 year career he was actually a "team player" so don't come saying that i am not using logic don't call me nimwit because the stuff i have said has been true..Kobe did want out of LA last year and he did run Shaq and Phil Jackson out of town...end of story

Eric said...

Kobe's not worthy enough to carry Jordan's gym bag or golf clubs. That's why I do not watch NBA basketball much anymore because the best has come and gone. How quickly people forget how good Jordan was. That was a pitty MVP award for Kobe. Oh poor Kobe we should give you the MVP this year, here you go....feel better now? Please!!! enough said